Friday, July 10, 2009

Abe and D.C. (cont.)

Well today was another great day in D.C. especially because I got to see Jake!!! We spent the morning on a tour of The Capitol, met a lady from the Washington Post, did part of the Holocaust Museum, and went to listen to Jazz in the Sculptor Garden.
To continue with my thoughts from yesterday on Abe... I talked to a couple people including Jake and Pierce about the U.S. and their love for Abe. I think they both made some great points that I agree with. We've talked a lot about the "American dream" throughout the trip. People who've come from humble beginnings and ended up doing great things. In Boston, part of the group heard a man tell a similar story before the reading of the Declaration of Independence--he immigrated to the U.S. with no money to his name and ended up being a doctor who does AIDS research. I think Abe fits into this similar mold which rightfully inspires people of all backgrounds. We also talked about how we are taught to love Abe in Elementary school. I can remember a specific book that was read on Presidents day about Abe being overcharged for something and then walking an absurd amount of miles to return the small amount of change. Which leads to another theme on the trip--constructed thought. I think we see construction as a strictly negative thing. And we have definitely seen its ill effects throughout our adventure. So although its scary that I've been taught to love Abe I still find him to be someone to admire.
If nothing else my Abe experience has taught me, once again, to think about my ideals and values and what has shaped them. Sometimes these thoughts spur change and sometimes they solidify a value.
Whoa, this post definitely went in a different direction than planned. Headed to bed, so that we can attempt to squeeze in another full day tomorrow!

1 comment:

Emily said...

Has anybody seen my old friend Abraham?