Thursday, July 2, 2009

RIP My Dear

Canon camera, age 2, died last night in an unknown accident in Cleveland Ohio. He was born August 17, 2007 in Best Buy. The service will be private and close casket since no body was found. Canon lived a short but fulfilling life traveling to exotic places and chronicling the life of his dearest friend Jenni. Survivors include Jenni and his godmother Laura Kilen. Monetary condolences can be sent in lieu of flowers to Jenni Kilen.

Yes its true. After drowning my sorrows in cookie dough ice cream and having a good cry in the "privacy" of my bunk I am transitioning from the stage of denial to acceptance. I can't hold up hope any longer that I will find my dear camera and so in order to keep my sanity I am saying goodbye (while secretly holding out hope for a resurrection). That being said the picture section of the blog might be a little bit lacking. I am going to try my best to get pictures from other people but I would also recommend checking out Chris Speed's flickr because he's the official photographer.

Despite my mourning, our first day in Boston was really fun. I think these last couple of days we really felt the reality of our fatigue but today our energy was back in time to celebrate Andi's birthday! We made a point of singing "Happy Birthday" at every stop on the part of the Freedom Trail we did today, wrote some haiku in her honor, and had a party on the bus consisting of microwavable cakes in a bowl and ice cream from Walgreens, toilet paper streamers, and a rousing rendition of the 12 days of Andi that can be viewed on Facebook. Its crazy what happens when you put 12 people on a bus together for 40 days.

As for Boston itself, I think we only got our feet wet today. We spent the day getting to know the public transportation, starting the freedom trail, and expierncing the ICA (Institute of Contemporary Art). Bonnie asked us to take note of dissent as a powerful force in American life. I think we have run into so many powerful examples of dissent ranging from Central high school to the many protestors on the streets. However, today at the ICA, I experienced a very unique manner of dissent. Shephard Fairy's work was on temporary display and although I don't think I completely understand everything about his work, he approached the act of dissent in a way I hadn't previously encountered. In addition to his many billboard-sized pieces, there was also a documentary about him and his work. At one point he talks about the fact that he does not convey a certain political stance but that his main goal is to get people to think about their environments and how their actions can affect other people. Applying this to my life, I thought about times on this trip when I wanted to dispute something that has been said, and I end up trying to ineffectively change people's outlooks--something that I hate having done to myself. I think Shephard Fairy's manner of encouraging thought on the matter is a very positive and succesful form of arguement.

Ah, Gilmore Girls and my bunk is calling my name. Tomorrow is day 2 in Boston and I get to see Jana and Zach!!

p.s. check out the letter Emma wrote for the Navajo times http://www.navajotimes.com/opinions/letters.php

No comments: