Sunday, June 7, 2009

Look Who I Found in LIttle Rock!


Well the day began with that ridiculous Collin Raye "Little Rock" song running through my head and is ending with thoughts that I can't even begin to digest right now. We started off the day at Central High School, then headed to Clinton Presidential Library, followed that with an awesome $4 meat and 3 meal, and then to churc. And guess who joined us...Ms Brittany Hodges!!
Bonnie asked us to reflect on the American presidency at some point and I think this was an appropriate day to do so. As I grazed through Clinton Library I started to think about Clinton and how my only memory of him is the end of his presidency and the scandal that ensued--interesting that none of this was mentioned in the library. Anyways, as I watched the film about Clinton, I found a new appreciation for his foreign relations and the respect that other countries held for him. It made me think of the boxes that we put our Presidents in--Hoover=great depression, Lincoln=Civil War, Clinton=Monica Lewinski--or at least it did in my mind. I think its just another way we like to marginalize a history that should be celebrated for it's richness.
Its impossible to reflect on this day and not reflect on our church experience. The service lasted close to 3 hours and was an experience that I have yet to unpack in my head. However, I can say that the way in which we were welcomed into the church with hugs and genuine smiles was humbling and inspirational. It made me think of the way in which I welcome strangers into my world and this experience raises the bar on my standards for hospitality. I wish I could wrap this day up in a neat little ball but thats totally not the point. And I foresee this Little Rock experience transcending into my world view for years to come.

1 comment:

bonniekathryn said...

I am so intrigued by this church service! Nice reflection on the Presidency, Jenni. It's interesting how certain moments can shape an entire perception of a presidency, and creating a Presidential library is a fascinating rhetorical act. I know time for reflection is short because you are on the move, but I'm grateful to get to read your blog. Take care!