Saturday, June 13, 2009

On this Episode of Andi and Ken plus 10


"The region is of course all together valueless. Ours has been the first, doubtless be the last, party of whites to visit this prophet less locality" Lt Joseph Ives spoke those words in 1858 about the Grand Canyon. At $25 a car, drawing people from all over the world I think the canyon has surprassed the expectations of its first discoverer.
It was so refreshing to be outdoors all day and get some exercise! We saw all types of people taking pictures, speaking various languages, and huffing and puffing up and down trails. I have heard all lot of different reviews on the Grand Canyon as a worthwhile vacation destination and today I was blown away with what I saw. Bonnie asked us why we think families are loading up their cars and making the haul to the Grand Canyon. I saw a lot of families spending time together, whether it was trying to survive the heat and steepness of a trail or taking goofy pictures. The Grand Canyon provides a landscape for families to be together without any distractions and share in something that parents did with their families. Our group had fun pretending to be our own weird family--belting out songs in the car, arguing about the plans of the day, and then ending the day by pulling over on the highway and enjoying the stars. Overall, I give the Grand Canyon a two thumbs up and have already added a hike to the bottom to my bucket list.

4 comments:

bonniekathryn said...

Awesome! Love this photo... sometime, check out the film Grand Canyon (with Steve Martin) and The American Future: A History by Simon Schama! Thanks, Jenni... say hello to everyone for me!

Unknown said...

Jenni, you are an adventurer and a writer! Thanks for sharing your experiences and your colorful reflections on them. I will check in often and I will pray for you as you enjoy the journey. Love,
Mrs. Riley

Anonymous said...

I have wanted to hike to the bottom too!!! Let's do it together! I love your writing :) Great job! Miss and love you!
Laura

Jenni said...

3 comments yes!!!! thank you all! Thanks so much for your prayers Mrs. Riley! i might stop in hoptown on my way home if im invited?

Bonnie-I love steve martin so I definitely will check out that film! we miss you a lot and talk about you!

laura-its a plan! next summer!