Monday, June 8, 2009

Secure the Blessings of Liberty

Well, our quest continues in New Orleans! After a day of a service project, the French quarter, Bourbon street, and SHOWERS!!!! we are having some much needed downtime of eating Starburst, watching friends, and catching up on our blogs.
Heading into the day, I had an image of New Orleans constructed from the many stories of family and friends who had visited here for Katrina relief. But of course seeing it first hand was a whole different story. As we pulled into the parking lot of the food pantry, people were already lined up for the 11 o clock opening. I instantly felt the discomfort I often feel when doing any short term service projects. I tried to look at the situation in the shoes of those waiting at the door--we were a group of college students, dressed in matching shirts, here to help for a couple hours, and then continue on this amazing trip. And if I set myself down on the stoop, or even in the shoes of one of the many volunteers that get up day after day to keep the center going, I would feel trapped. Even as we worked throughout the day, I struggled with the big picture, how long would the onesies even stay folded, or the pantry of canned food stay organized? Where can good even begin to be accomplished?
The Preamble talks about "securing the Blessings of Liberty" and we have heard that echoed throughout our stops as we ask people what it means to be an American. I was inspired to see the ways in which the Little Rock 9 spurred our country toward this ideal, and a little grossed out but interested in the ways people lived out their blessings of liberty on the Beale and Bourbon street. But today, as much as I enjoyed being around the people at the food pantry, I have to be honest about the relief that flooded over me when I walked out that door. Today more than ever I was aware of an inequality in rights between myself and the victims in New Orleans. Sometimes when I tell people about this trip and I get that confused look, I reply "It was an once in a lifetime opportunity that I couldn't pass up." I am so blessed to be able to pursue this opportunity.
I apologize for the lack of pictures today, I left my camera on the bus! I promise I will take some good ones tomorrow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What is the Little Rock 9?