Monday, June 29, 2009

Holy Cow! Look at all these Sheep!


Once again we were received with gracious hospitality by Ken's family and friends in Detroit. We were treated to lunch and given cute care packages of some of the products of Michigan. By far the highlight of the day was the Henry Ford Museum, I've never been more engaged in a museum. I got to sit on the bus that Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on, experience every kind of media, and see a lot of really shiny cars. Then we went outside and entered Greenfield Village which is a whole new world of "living history." I think I could have spent two days seeing the old houses and talking to the actors. After a Polish lunch we headed to Ken's hometown Rossford, OH and met with the mayor and other city officials. It was really refreshing and comforting to hear these people and the pride they had in their small town that reminded me a lot of Eldridge. When asked what makes Rossford so attractive all of them agreed that it was the sense of family. They talked a football coach that was sick and how the whole town rallied around him, or how on friday night everyone walks to the football game. They raved about their education system and discussed how they see the individual as the product of their family. They were candid about the downfalls of a small town but it was clear that the pros outwayed the cons. If I'm being completely honest, it was hard to think about family while mine is gathered at the Cabin--my favorite place in the world. Then the mayor started to talk about what a unique oppurtunity we had been given with this trip. No matter how exhausted I am, or how many times I feel like I'm gonna puke in the 15 passenger van, I don't ever want to take this trip for granted. That said, I need to get to bed so I can live it up in Cleveland tomorrow!

4 comments:

bonniekathryn said...

What a cool day! I'm so glad you got to ruminate a bit on small town life. What's the story with that photo?
Have fun in Cleveland today!

Jane Shelby said...

Jenni - I continue to enjoy hearing about all these experiences! What a treasure this trip is for all of you.
Keep up the blogging.

Jenni said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenni said...

It was a barbershop quartet at Greenfield Village-a living history place by the Henry Ford museum.